Friday, May 7, 2010

Kung Fu Hustle Blog

Here we have a movie that I actually own but had never seen it through to the end, which is now upsetting since I loved the whole package. And I'd even say I paid attention more than the previous attempts so I picked up on more throughout the parts I had seen before.

I've got a few things of note written in my notebook, so I'll just knock them off one by one. First, the postmodernism aspect of the film. I don't feel like I have this down cold yet. It seems like every time I think I do, we discuss it a bit more and I realize I didn't quite get it. I have things written down like the Ying Yang symbol in the dirt, the roadrunner-esque chase scene, and the genre skipping. I also made a note that was said about being deliberately unoriginal, taking little bits from the culture and recycling it back into movies. Since they are blank parodies, is there no true mission or statement being made? Are we to assume the movies are made that way to stand alone from 'lesson teaching' and just become what they are, references to references, a film to just enjoy?

About the genre skipping and other movie references. The genre skipping in particular reminded me of Kill Bill. I can't pinpoint all of the genres being portrayed, but it was like every scene had a different vibe. When they referenced, "The One", I couldn't not think of the Matrix, the lowly criminal becoming what they'd all hoped he'd become. Neo wasn't really that much of a criminal, but I think he might have been involved in some underground computer software stuff, it's been a while. Obviously, much of the fighting was Matrix-y, I think it was said that they had the same fighting choreographer (is that what you call the job)? I did notice the reference to The Shining with the blood. Definitely Gangs of New York. Even if you take away the gangs, that apartment complex reminded me of the 5 Points area. would have been amazing to see Bill the Butcher thrown into this movie, he would have had a blast.

Now onto a confusing moment that could use some clarification. After "The One" gets his ass kicked the 1st time, before he's actually "The One", they show him inside a big black metal thing. It looks like it is near or around where a traffic light would be and he's bashing the hell out of it, putting some serious dents in it. Next time we see him, he's healed and his friend even mentions it, "How do you heal so quickly?". So, was that a glimpse into his capabilities as "The One", healing quickly and great strength? Or was supposed to seem possible that he could pound the shit out of that container as a normal dude? Someone, I think, mentioned the general concept in kung fu movies of the hero just tending to heal quickly or not even be hurt, so that could be as well. But it struck me as something that I needed to mention here.

Loved the fight scenes, in particular the one involving those 2 killers that played the Guqin. Just when we thought the fighting couldn't get anymore outrageous, they're shooting demons out of their harp. Sounded cool too, since music gets emitted with the blades and supernatural beings. The male landlord's fight scene with them was great as well.

Great movie, I'm glad I finally stuck it out, well worth the price of admission.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with the traffic light thing. WTF is that all about? Does he have any idea that he's "The One"? And why doesn't he remember anything?
    What did you think about the first fight with the brothers? The good guy got offed pretty easily. I personally thought it was kind of cheap. What kind of master would allow himself to be so easily caught off guard? And if the cleaner's bracelet things could fend off axes over and over again, why would some harp-swords be able to break through?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it!

    yes, he was The One, but didn't know it. We see evidence of his superpowers, and the whole traffic light scene, healing abilities, etc, works as giant foreshadowing. He has those powers, but he's a negative person so has no idea how to use them, until he 'clears his chi' and begins to use his powers for good.

    Just because postmodern movies deliberately lack a larger message (sometimes) doesn't mean that they're just for entertainment. Rather, they often call into question the conventions by which conventional movies deliver the conventional moral message, happy ever after, typical hero, etc. Also, images refer to other images rather than to some imaginary reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you still frequently check your blog but you should continue writing in it. Nice to read your posts once in awhile. Take care.

    ReplyDelete