Saturday, April 24, 2010

Heathers Blog (creative title)

With all of the hoopla that surrounds entertainment following tragic events, I have a couple theories or just general ideas that deal with the situation. First off, with a movie like Heathers, it is clutch to display certain things that society might view as problematic before the actual tragic event happens in the real world (especially if you're going to tackle it in a laughable manner). As we discussed in class, something like pulling a gun on fellow jocks in the cafeteria doesn't fly with people sometimes because they feel it spawns similar actions with real people. Nevermind the people that may supply guns to kids, or parents who own guns that don't keep them in safe keeping. So in a sense, Heathers beat the world to the punch.

Another detail about such movies when relating them to real life events is they must have the ability to make fun of a serious situation, while still pulling away some serious emotion and opinions. It's not always easy to do, but Heathers pulled it off I think. It was similar in humor-serious to Strangelove. It takes a bit of balls to take something like teenage suicide or the Cold War and find any humor in them whatsoever. If filmmakers have the ability to successfully blend the two emotions, to the backdrop of something horrible, they have arrived.

I loved the Fight Club comparison in class. I hadn't thought about I don't believe. But once I heard it, I ran with it in my mind. They both had sort of similar storylines. Character 1 is starting to question their lives a bit, Character 2 is presented and furthers the questioning and even begins to take the reigns on character 1's life at times. At some point, Character 1 refuses Character 2's motives and intentions. Character 2 has something big afoot, and it's up to Character 1 to put a stop to it, ultimately putting Character 2 out of it's misery. Character 1=Veronica/Ed Norton aka 'The Narrator'. Character 2=JD/Tyler Durden.

I was baffled on the relationship between JD and his father, or more so, how they spoke to each other, with JD speaking like a father, and his father speaking like the son. It was so weird, I don't really have a true analysis for it. On one hand, I thought it just simply put further twists into JD's character, with no real reason for it, other than that, fucking up the character even more. I think it could imply how his family life has been without his mother, moving around and such. No attention, caring and whatnot. It's almost like what people say sometimes to people who aren't seeming to give a shit. Like, when someone doesn't ask how my day was, I might say "Oh Eric, how was your day today? Good I hope." to myself to show them that they're not paying me the proper attention.

Overall, a nifty film. I had stumbled upon it in pieces throughout the years but this was the first go through in one sitting from start to finish. I don't think it matters what era you're from, there are elements of everyone's high school in here somewhere. It's strange how the schooling experience can be the best years of someone's life or literally years of hell. High School almost becomes more about the relationships, the friends and enemies, than it does about the education itself. It's not what's in the math book that counts, it's how hard you hit someone in the head with it. You dress everyday, like you're going to an audition for Saved by the Bell. High School and onto college, preparation for life, no doubt.

3 comments:

  1. Doesn't the Fight Club thing make sense? Man, I'm good. Haha I also think the relationship between him and his dad was very strange. Like at first I thought they were going to do it for a few minutes, then throughout the movie they were talking to each other from the others point of view. It was weird.
    It does represent my highschool A Lot! I hated high school the worst four years of my life, By Far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The father/son thing freaked me out! That was the point at which I thought, okay, JD really is psychotic. And then his dad talking about the boiler rooms just cemented that fact. Like son, like father (get it? yeah it was lame).

    My highschool actually wasn't like this at all, and I had a class of 650 kids. The vast majority were the average small town kids and a tiny minority were self-inflicted social outcasts or preps. The whole cheerleader/varsity football social royalty is so very true, though... I think only because they're the public, pretty faces of the student body. Like we talked about, is it more tragic if a "dumptruck" commits suicide or if a cheerleader does? People certainly have different reactions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're sort of circling around an analysis here, and giving something more like a description. A good description, but more concept would have strengthened it. Bringing the reading in would have been good, and a way to discuss how this movie messed with expectations of teen movies in general.

    ReplyDelete